Monday, October 22, 2012

This rainy day and Monday didn't get me down!


Here it is a rainy Monday evening. I thought I would take some time to reflect on the benefit that took place on Friday evening. This event is the biggest fundraising event of the year. The Hyatt Regency was the venue for this event. There were about 1300 people in attendance. I was there to help keep the kids in the Breakthrough Youth Choir occupied while they waited to go on stage.

The day started at 11:45 am for me. Some of the kids only had a half day of school and would arrive early to the center where we would have a bit of lunch and watch a movie before heading out to the hotel. Once at the hotel, the kids had a sound check before any of the attendees arrived. The kids sounded great! We move to the green room where the hotel kitchen had made pizza and other snacks for the kids. The room we had was very small; not enough space for about forty very energetic kids. We’re playing games, coloring, and some even playing double dutch.

It was time for the kids to line up outside the ballroom before heading in to sing. We walk in while someone is finishing up her speech. The kids are nervous, but remain calm. Finally, it’s their turn to take the stage. The music starts and they begin to march up on stage. They are beaming with pride and joy; swaying from side to side and clapping to the beat. As they are singing, I find myself with tears streaming down my face. Why was I crying? I mean, I practically hated working at this place for the first few weeks I was there. Breakthrough is a place I have come to love. Working with the kids is such a rewarding experience. I found myself crying because I know what these kids are capable of. They have so much potential. I was crying because society has already condemned these kids to be failures because of where they live. This is what Breakthrough is working to change. The kids are intelligent, creative, and full of energy! I was crying because I love these kids.

The benefit was a huge success. The financial goal of the organization was to raise $700,000. As of Saturday afternoon, the count was just over $804,000! The Lord is good! This will definitely keep the programs we offer up and running!

Now, there is something I would like to ask you all to pray for. I have a few students in the class I work with that are having a bit of trouble. They are very close to being expelled from the program. They have some behavior issues and are continually getting in trouble for the same things. These boys are smart boys, but they let themselves become distracted. I work with each of them one on one and know they are capable of great work. I would ask that you keep these three boys in your prayers.

This week is fall break for many Chicago Public Schools, so our program is a bit different this week. We have program in the morning and not in the afternoon. So, it’s a little less hectic than usual, which is nice after a long week last week.

I’m looking forward to a quick visit home this coming weekend! I can’t wait to see my family, friends, and church family!

No comments:

Post a Comment